Hello beautiful Spring! I hope everyone had a wonderful Spring Break, full of lots of fun outdoor activities. In March at our Science Center, the children continued exploring our class “doctor’s office”, pretending to be the doctor or patient while using various medical tools like stethoscopes, blood pressure cuff, and bandages. We also started learning about the life cycle of a plant by watching the growing process start with our green bean seeds sprouting in baggies as well as planting seeds in cups to watch them grow. A special thank you again to our class teen aide, Michael Barnett, for building our preschool class a garden for his Eagle Scout Project. This will be a wonderful learning experience for the children to understand the importance of planting food that we can eat. The children created beautiful color mixing flower artwork as well as playing at our letter/number hunt sensory table. Frog Street Press song books continue to teach us rhyming songs while learning letters L & G, number 9, the star shape and the color purple. The children have also been learning some basic French words from the CSHS - NHS students and Madame Doran from DSA-French Immersion program. Our Character Counts lesson about Responsibility has taught us the importance of making good choices by being in charge of your own actions and taking care of things. Journal entries continue to show the children’s imaginations and creativity. Our ABC Music & Me “Around the Farm” lesson had everyone pretending to be farm animals and playing rhythm sticks, egg shakers and bells softly or loudly along with learning our 10 Little Chicks finger play song.
Important Dates / Reminders:
** ECS Preschool 2018-19 registration is still open for our NEW location at Desert Sun Academy - REGISTER TODAY & please tell your friends while spots are still available.
4/2 - ECS Parent Committee Meeting - 9:30 am - Governing Board Room - District Office site
4/4 - Half-day of preschool with 11:30 am pick-up time - NO LUNCH BUNCH / afternoon class (**PD for teachers)
Upcoming April Activities:
- Letters this month: E, F, R
- Numbers this month: practice #’s 1-10
- Shapes of the month: review all shapes
- Color of the month: purple
- ABC Music & Me Lesson: Out and About (handouts sent home with April newsletter)
- Science Center / Projects: Observing / journaling / activities about the chicken egg life cycle process, children will plant vegetable in garden / flowers in planters, planting sensory discovery bin, color changing flowers, trying foods with seeds
- Harmony lessons with our alien friend Z: Problem-solving & Peer Relationships; Character Counts lesson: Responsibility (con’t)
- April books: Planting a Rainbow, The Carrot Seed, If You Plant a Seed, non-fiction books about the egg hatching process & chicken life cycle, planting & gardens
Mrs. Siegel and Mrs. Miller