Ahhh…fall is finally here along with all of the fun that the month of October brings. We have been focusing on our “all about me” unit by learning about parts of the face & body through drawings, nature face creations, & our mini people shapes as well as our hair color math graphs. We explored our amazing five senses at our science center and tried sour, salty, & sweet food during our taste tests. Exploring the outdoors with our handmade binoculars was great by using our awesome sense of sight. We have been busy learning about letters T (Tommy Tiger) and P (Penelope Pig), the number 2, the color orange, and the fun shape Trixie Triangle with our song books from Frog Street Press. Our sensory bean table allowed us to find & sort shapes & colors. The children continue to enjoy creating unique artwork at our writing/art center by drawing, painting, cutting, gluing, etc. Our name puzzles & daily name writing is giving the children great opportunities to work on their emergent literacy skills.
10/4 - School ends at 11:30 - NO Lunch Bunch or afternoon
10/9 - 9:30 am, D.O. campus, room 27 — ECS Parent
Committee Meeting (for all locations)
10/12 - T/Th individual & class picture day
10/16 - M/W/F individual & class picture day
10/19 & 10/20 - NO SCHOOL - Parent/teacher conferences
10/30 - M/W/F Halloween party & trick-or-treating - 9:45-11:30
10/31 - T/Th Halloween party & trick-or-treating - 9:45-11:30
**NOTE: Sign-ups for parent teacher conferences will be on the sign-in table for the week of October 16th with 10 min. time slots available on varied days (after school or on the no school day). P/T conferences are optional.
Upcoming October Activities:
- Letters this month: O, N, D
- Numbers this month: 3, 4
- Shapes of the month: square
- Color of the month: black
- ABC Music & Me: “Home Sweet Home” (handouts were attached with take-home newsletters)
- Science Center: Exploration of “creepy crawly” insects and reptiles / Halloween pumpkin carving & pumpkin decomposition.
- Units: We will continue sharing our “all about me” posters but start learning “all about our families” and what makes them special (Core Knowledge). We will focus on what it means to be part of a community (CK) and continue learning about the importance of our emotions and feelings. Our alien friend Z continues to teach us about the importance of being a caring & helpful friend along with our Buddy Up program (Sanford Harmony). Character Counts Program for October is: Respect
- October books: One Family, The Feel Good Book, Hurty Feelings, Just My Friend and Me, Pete the Cat and the New Guy, Can I Play Too?, The Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything, non-fiction insect & reptile books, books about families, and a variety of Halloween books
Mrs. Siegel & Mrs. Miller