The holidays are finally here and we cannot thank our amazing families enough for all of your generous gift donations for our Adopt-a-Family project! Last month, we enjoyed learning and talking about all of the special Community Helpers that make our everyday lives a better, safer place. The firefighter and police officer visits were especially exciting as the children were able to see a firefighter’s fire truck and gear close-up and sit on a police motorcycle or in a car. We learned and discussed what it means to be “thankful” with our Thanksgiving activities. At our Science Center, we continued with our creepy crawly insects as well as learning about bats, moving onto exploring the beauty of fall with nature items like a variety of colored leaves, nuts, pinecones, etc. During circle time and centers, the Frog Street Press songs/books helped us to learn letters N, D, & H, numbers 4 & 5, the color brown, and the rectangle shape. In our in ABC Music & Me unit called “Let’s Play”, we pretended we were trains and teddy bears through movement and by playing a variety of instruments like rhythm sticks, bells, and sand blocks.
**Important Dates & Reminders:
12/14 - T/Th class Holiday Party
12/15 - M/W/F class Holiday Party
12/21 & 12/22 - Pajama Days at school
12/22 - School ends at 11:30 am - NO lunch bunch or afternoon
12/25 - 1/5/18 - NO SCHOOL - Holiday Break
1/8/18 - School resumes
- Letters this month: H, S, C
- Numbers this month: 5, 6
- Shape of the month: oval
- Color of the month: red
- ABC Music & Me Unit: “Outside My Window” (handouts sent home with newsletter)
- Science Center: Nature’s Winter Wonderland
- Units: The arrival of our class Elf on the Shelf, focus on holiday art creations & activities to celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah, letters to Santa, lessons from our alien friend Z about how to be a caring & giving friend, having fun singing holiday songs, rhymes, and reading holiday themed books.
- December books: Character Counts: Caring, Sanford Harmony / Alien friend Z: Empathy, Elf on the Shelf, Pete the Cat Saves Christmas, The Hanukkah Mice, Is It Christmas Yet?, The Last Christmas Tree, Runaway Dreidel, If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, Where’s Prancer?, ’Twas The Night Before Christmas
We want to wish all of our preschoolers and their families a wonderful, fun, and safe holiday break!!
Mrs. Siegel & Mrs. Miller