Happy February!! These cold winter days have given us a lot us some fun things to do like making our own homemade snow or a snowstorm in a bottle, and creating our own unique & beautiful snowy winter scene artwork. We designed our own snowflakes, sang & danced to the “Snowflake” song, pretended to be penguins and polar bears, and played in our own igloo. At our Science Center, we had fun playing with & learning about magnets. We always love singing & reading the Frog Street Press song books for letters J, W, and I, for numbers 7 and 8, singing about the star shape and the color white. Our Harmony alien friend Z taught us about what it means to be a “feelings detective” with our friends and learning to really listen to them to find out if they are sad or mad. Our Character Counts lesson about Fairness was great for discussing why sharing and taking turns is important. In our ABC Music & Me “Carnival of Music” unit, we listened to and created our own parade music with bells and egg shakers and learned how bass and snare drums make completely different sounds. We had tons of fun pretending to be tightrope walkers and making different carnival animal sounds.
- 2/13 & 2/14 - ECS Preschool 2017-18 registration for RETURNING FAMILIES for the ECS campus, BMES campus, & HTES campus
- 2/13/17 - ECS Parent Committee Meeting - 9:30 am - room 27 - District Office site
- 2/13/17 - M/W/F class Valentine’s Day celebration
- 2/14/17 - T/Th class Valentine’s Day celebration
- 2/15/17 - ECS Preschool 2017-18 registration for NEW families for the sites listed above
- 2/20/17 & 2/21/17 - NO SCHOOL - President’s Day holiday & Prof. Dev. training for teachers
Upcoming Activities for February:
Letters this month: I, S, V, D
Numbers this month: 9, 10
Shapes this month: star, heart
Colors this month: pink, purple
** In the above areas, we continue to practice our rhyming, patterning, sorting, & sequencing during our circle and center time activities. The children will also enjoy painting, cutting out shapes, writing their first and last names as well as letters & numbers, and color mixing at our creation station writing center and art easels.
- ABC Music & Me Unit: "Animals A-Dancing" (handouts were sent home)
- Science Center: Activities to highlight heart health month, dental month activities to learn about keeping teeth healthy, Valentine’s play dough, rice sensory discovery table and much more.
- Projects: We will continue to talk about the winter season. We will give extra attention toward what friendship truly means with our buddy activities and with our Valentine’s Day celebrations. We will discuss the importance of good dental health and activities to keep our hearts healthy. We will also begin our special pet project. Starting in February, we will begin student journals and sharing days (students will be assigned a day).
- Harmony lessons with our alien friend Z and Character Counts "Respect" lesson
- February books: What Makes A Shadow, The Almost Terrible Playdate, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Rose, My Heart is a Zoo, Valentine Surprise, If You'll Be My Valentine, Corduroy, The Tooth Book, Bear’s Loose Tooth, and non-fiction books about healthy teeth and hearts.
Mrs. Siegel & Mrs. Miller