Happy New Year to all of our wonderful preschool families! It’s hard to believe that the holidays are over but we hope that great memories were made and lots of joy was shared during these special times. Last month, we discussed the importance of celebrating the holidays which led to the children creating unique and beautiful ornaments, trees, and menorahs that helped them to express why the holidays are special and meaningful to them. Our class Elf on the Shelf, Sparkle, had a fun time visiting our class daily to check in on all of the kiddos. And, cannot thank our parents enough for making both of our holiday parties a success (Santa was a nice surprise too!) At our Winter Wonderland Nature Science Center, the children explored & examined various wintry items and animals that make the season so magical. We had fun singing & reading the Frog Street Press song books for letters L and J, as well as numbers 6 and 7, We also sang & learned about the triangle shape and how to spell colors brown and green. In our in ABC Music & Me unit “Outside My Window”, we discovered the sounds & sights of different types of weather and explored the movement of ice skating by using paper plates to “skate” around the room. We enjoyed pretending scarves were “snowflakes falling” as well as playing instruments either loud and soft using bells.
1/9/17 - School resumes
1/16/17 - NO SCHOOL - MLK Holiday
1/23/17 - CANCELED - ECS Parent Committee Meeting - 9:30 am in room 27, District Office
**ECS Preschool registration for all five locations for the upcoming 2017-18 school year will be held on 2/13 and 2/14 for returning families and on 2/15 for new families.
- Letters this month: J, R, S
- Numbers this month: 7, 8
- Shapes of the month: triangle, star
- Colors of the month: green, white
- ABC Music & Me Unit: “Carnival of Music” (handouts were sent home).
- Science Center: Winter-based activities with sensory snow, snow storm in a bottle, melted snowman slime, winter play dough and much more.
- Projects: Focus on the winter season and its effects on nature from animals to plants to the different types of wintry weather that we experience.
- Harmony lessons with our alien friend Z
- Character Counts lesson: Fairness
- January books: The Mitten, The Snowy Day, Snow Party, Snowflakes Fall, Snowmen at Night, The Lonesome Polar Bear, Penguin Dreams, Snowflake, nonfiction books about winter (weather, environment, animals, etc)
Mrs. Siegel and Mrs. Miller