Happy February!! With our cold winter mornings, we have enjoyed some fun winter activities like making our own homemade snow, cutting/decorating snowflakes, created Snowy Day scene artwork, and danced to the “Snowflakes” song. At our Arctic Animal Science Center, we had fun pretending with the polar bears, penguins, seals, and other arctic animals. We always love singing & reading the Frog Street Press books for letters C, S, & I, numbers 6 & 7., singing about the diamond shape and the color white. Our Harmony friend Z taught us about what it means to be a “feelings detective” with our friends and learning to really listen to them if they are sad or mad. Our Character Counts lesson about Fairness was great for discussing why sharing and taking turns is important. For our ABC Music & Me “Carnival of Music” unit, we listened to and created our own parade music with bells and egg shakers and learned how bass and snare drums make different sounds, either loud or soft. Pretending to be tightrope walkers, funny clowns or different animals like elephants or lions made us feel like we were a part of the carnival.
Important Dates & Reminders:
2/12 & 2/13 - ECS Preschool 2018-19 registration for
RETURNING FAMILIES for ECS campus (Mrs. Siegel’s class),
BMES campus, & HTES campus
2/26 - ECS Parent Committee Meeting -9:30 am- room 27 -
District Office site
2/13- T/Th class Valentine’s Day celebration
2/14 - M/W/F class Valentine’s Day celebration
2/15 & 2/16 - ECS Preschool 2018-19 registration for NEW
families for preschool sites listed above (*please refer your
family & friends to register for Child's Play Preschool)
2/19 & 2/20 - NO SCHOOL - President’s Day holiday & Prof.
Dev. day for teachers
- Letters this month: B, L, V; review of letters
- Numbers this month: 7, 8
- Shapes of the month: heart
- Colors of the month: pink
- ABC Music & Me Unit: “Animals A-Dancing (at-home activity papers sent home with newsletter)
- Science Center: Activities to highlight heart health month, dental month activities to learn about keeping teeth healthy, measure/pour at Poly Pellets sensory discovery table and much more.
- Projects: We will discuss the importance of good dental health, have fun doing activities to keep our hearts healthy, and set up a class “doctor’s office”. With our Valentine’s Day celebrations, we will create special heart gifts for our families as well as focus on the importance of friendships with our Buddy Up activities. The children will continue creating weekly journal entries and share their favorite books with the class on sharing days.
- Sanford Harmony lessons about communication with our alien friend Z AND Character Counts lesson about “respect”.
- February books: There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Rose, books about Valentine’s Day, The Tooth Book, Bear’s Loose Tooth, and non-fiction books about doctors, circulatory system & heart, and dentists.
:-) Mrs. Siegel & Mrs. Miller